Never do today what you can put off for tomorrow. Better yet, never put off 'til tomorrow what you can avoid altogether!
This statement illustrates a negative mindset which reinforces negative feelings. One of the most important things I did to help myself was to stop procrastinating. I accomplished this by becoming more organised.
This is my list of items that helped me to stop procrastinating.
- Make a list of what needs to get done.
- Prioritise items in order of when they are due or by how important they are. Paying your bills on time is more important than decorating.
- Break large jobs into smaller, more manageable tasks.
- Start with the hardest task of your day, the rest of your day gets easier.
- Lack of energy? Schedule the task for when you will be at your peak.
- Examine the amount of time procrastinating. I was amazed at the length of time I spent putting things off - more time than it would have taken to complete the tasks!
- Don't expect perfection.
- Just do it.
Does the thought of performing a certain task fill you will anxiety? First, try this:
- Inhale deeply while counting five heart beats (you may check this easily by feeling your pulse).
- Exhale as you count five heart beats.
You should notice after each breath that your heart rate is actually slowing and you are feeling less tense.
Now, do something, not matter how small. Just make a start. Take 5 minutes and focus all your attention on this one task. After 5 minutes, try and stop. You have just accomplished something. You have started (or maybe even completed!) a task. Reward yourself.