Kobolds & Catacombs contains a new games play mechanic called Recruit which summons a minion from your deck and drops them into play. Recruit cards are conditional (e.g. only bringing creatures of a certain cost), so you'll have to build your decks carefully.
The single-player mode, Dungeon Run, will excite players who have mourned the absence of solo content after Blizzard switched to releasing only full expansions this year. Previously, they interspersed larger 135-card releases with smaller 45-content drops called Adventures that centred around player-versus-computer experiences. To make up for it, Blizzard promised to add free solo content to the new full expansions, beginning with the previous release Knights of the Frozen Throne. Whether that makes up for how much more expensive it is to keep up with the game without the far-cheaper Adventures is up to each player.
Dungeon Run Guide
Dungeon Run a roguelike type of role-playing game characterized by a dungeon crawl through dynamic levels that are different in each encounter. Typically, roguelikes contain a fantasy-themed narrative, influenced heavily by table-top RPG predecessors such as Dungeons & Dragons. In roguelikes, players control a character, accumulate loot, and risk permanent death along their journey.
At the start of a Dungeon Run, players will choose a class and be given a basic set of 10 cards. Along their journey, players will fight their way through 8 bosses randomly selected from a pool of 48 in total. Each of the available bosses has a unique hero power and an assortment of distinct cards and mechanics. This variance in the possible encounters poses a unique challenge for players in each attempt.
Like any proper dungeon encounter, a failed run will result in permanent death! In Hearthstone's Dungeon Run game mode, this means the player's deck and progress will be immediately wiped and he or she will have to start over with a new Dungeon Run.
If you're struggling to complete your runs through the Dungeon these tips might help you!
- In the first few encounters you should be aggressive. You don't have a lot of cards and the bosses don't have much health. Most decks should be able to just run over the first few bosses.
- Always be looking at the composition of your deck when considering what to add to it. You might be offered Murlocs with Paladin which make a good meta deck, but if you aren't offered them again then you will have no synergy! Dragon's on the other hand are usually pretty good on their own.
- Hero Power: Idle (2 Mana) - Do nothing.
- Flavor: Waylay this adventurer while she isn't paying attention!
It appears that she is literally AFK, so defeat her quickly and
take a free win! It apparently isn't a free win, and it seems that she will come back to the game to drop a ton of 8/8 Giants on the table so be careful!
- Hero Power: 0 Mana - Transform a minion into a random one that costs 1 more.
- Hero Power: Battle Totem (Passive) - Your Battlecries trigger twice.
- Flavor:When he calls in the troops, they listen. Twice.
Bink the Burglar
- Hero Power: (0 Mana) - Gain 1 Mana Crystal this turn only.
- Flavor:This low-down thief preys on starting adventurers.
- Hero Power: Evolvomancy (0 Mana) - Transform a minion into a random one that costs (1) more.
- Hero Power: (1 Mana) - Transform a minion into a random one that costs (3) more.
- Flavor:This furbolg's dark magic twists the other dungeonfolk.
- Hero Power: (5 Mana) - Silence your minions.
- Flavor:At all costs, stop him from waking the ancient guardians
- Hero Power: Hunter's Call (3 Mana) - Reduce the Cost of cards in your hand by (1).
- Flavor:This legendary furbolg hunter can quickly call on big friends.
- Hero Power: Charge! (1 Mana) - Give a minion Charge.
- Hero Power: Charrrrrge! (Passive) - After you play a minion, give it Charge.
- Flavor:This kobold pirate's favorite move it chaaaarrrge!
- Hero Power: (10 Mana) - Destroy 3 of your Mana Crystals. Take an extra turn.
- Flavor:Once she powers up, beware of her mastery of time!
- Hero Power: Dampen Magic (2 Mana) - Put a Counterspell Secret into the battlefield.
- Flavor:The bane of magic users, this furbolg can counter any spell.
- Hero Power: Mystic Barrier (1 Mana) - Gain 3 Armor.
- Flavor:This furbolg elder calls arcane energies to her defense.
- Hero Power: Freeze (2 Mana) - Freeze a minion.
- Flavor:These furbolg warrens feel unnaturally cold
- Hero Power: (2 Mana) - Give your minions +1/+1.
- Flavor:The fungalmancer empowers his friends. With fungus.
George and Karl
- Hero Power: (2 Mana) - Give all your minions Divine Shield.
- Flavor:These tag-team paladins went missing in Un'goro.
- Hero Power: Rat Race (2 Mana) - Summon two 1/1 Rats.
- Flavor: The bane of every young adventurer.
Giant Rat is one of the early bosses you'll face when you are just starting out on your run.
Gnosh the Greatworm
- Hero Power: Swallow Whole (2 Mana) - Destroy the minion with the highest Attack.
- Flavor: Always looking to devour the largest, tastiest minions.
Graves the Cleric
- Hero Power: Light's Will (0 Mana) - Restore 2 Health to all minions.
- Flavor: The healing adventurer was separated from his old party.
- Hero Power: Metabolized Magic (Passive) - Whenever your opponent casts a spell, draw a card. It costs (1).
- Hero Power: Digest Magic (Passive) - Whenever your opponent casts a spell, summon a Tunnel Trogg.
- Flavor:This trogg elder and his minions flock toward sources of magic.
- Hero Power: (2 Mana) - Summon an extremely Deadly Spore.
- Flavor: Its deadly spores can kill an adventurer instantly!
- Hero Power: (1 Mana) - Each player draws 3 cards.
- Flavor: Don't run the lamp! You rubbed the lamp, didn't you?
- Hero Power: Giant Stomp (2 Mana) - Deal 1 damage to all enemy minions.
- Flavor:This ancient stone guardian prefers the loot to stay here.
- Hero Power: The Floor is Lava (Passive) - After a minion is played, deal 2 damage to it.
- Flavor: The kobolds attempted to board up this lava-filled chamber!
Lyris the Wild Mage
- Hero Power: Arcane Infusion (1 Mana) - Add 'Arcane Missiles' to your hand.
- Flavor: She loves fire. Her minions love that she loves fire.
- Hero Power: Mushroom, Mushroom (2 Mana) - Craft a custom Mushroom Potion.
- Flavor: You probably don't want the potions he's hocking.
The custom Mushroom Potions are Kazakus potions!
- Hero Power: (1 Mana) - Deal 1 damage to a friendly minion and give it +2 Attack.
- Hero Power: (1 Mana) - Deal 1 damage to a friendly minion and give it +5 Attack.
- Flavor: This trogg commander is extra "motivational" to underlings.
- Hero Power: Unstable Explosion (1 Mana) - Deal 1 damage to two random enemies.
- Hero Power: (2 Mana) - Deal 2 damage to three random enemies.
- Flavor:There's more than one way for a kobold to dig a tunnel.
Russel the Bard
- Hero Power: (2 Mana) - Gain control of an enemy minion with 2 or less Attack.
- Flavor:His tunes are catchy. Just ask your minions.
- Hero Power: Fading Light (2 Mana) - Give a minion -1 Attack.
- Flavor: A twilight dragon bent on draining your minions.
- Hero Power: (Passive) - Your Deathrattles trigger twice.
- Flavor: This troll priest speaks with the dead twice.
- Hero Power: Catch and Release (0 Mana) - Summon a random minion from your deck.
- Flavor: Look, this murloc just wants to fish, okay?
Tad is a rare boss encounter that never has any cards in his hands and every turn his hero power summons a minion out of his deck. The key with Tad is that you actually don't want to kill him, you want to remove everyone of the minions he drops and do not attack him. If you can do this he will eventually run out of cards and once that happens he will spawn a Sunken Chest on the board. Kill the 0/1 chest and you will get Tad's Pole for your Dungeon deck which is a 1-Mana 0/1 Weapon that reads: "At the end of your turn, summon a minion from your opponent's deck."!
Thaddock the Thief
- Hero Power: Tactical Retreat (1 Mana) - Return a friendly minion to your hand.
- Flavor: One moment her minions are there the next gone!
Thaddock is literally a Quest Rogue (The Caverns Below), so make sure to kill any minion she is trying to put on the board multiple times if you get a chance!
- Hero Power: Gloop (2 Mana) - Give minions in your hand +1/+1.
- Flavor:Don't let its growing, gooey friends get out of hand.
- Hero Power: (Passive) - Whenever you reveal a Secret, summon a 3/3 Sawblade.
- Flavor:Tread carefully. Don't touch anything!
What we know so far about the Trapped Room is that it is one of the most difficult encounters in the Dungeon Run. It's so difficult, in fact, that it was intentionally designed to show up less often!
- Hero Power: (5 Mana) - End the game.
- Flavor:Grab all you can, as fast as you can!
- Hero Power: (Passive) - All Battlecries and Deathrattles trigger twice.
- Flavor:He wants to be a troll. He cries for battle and rattles for death.
- Hero Power: Sculpt Wax (1 Mana) - Summon a 1/1 copy of a minion.
- Hero Power: Harden Sculpture (3 Mana) - Summon a copy of a minion.
- Flavor:This kobold can candle-craft minions at will.
- Hero Power: Baby Breath (2 Mana) - Deal 2 damage.
- Flavor:It's just a baby dragon. But it's still a dragon.
Wee Whelp is potentially one of the bosses you'll face at the beginning of your run.
- Hero Power: Join the Fray (2 Mana) - Both players Recruit a minion.
- Flavor: A kobold berserker who never fights alone.
Kobolds & Catacombs Final Bosses List
If you manage to make it to the bottom of the dungeon you will encounter one of five total final bosses! This will be updated once we learn all of the names and encounters.
Azari, the Devourer
- Hero Power: Devour (0 Mana) - Remove the top 2 cards of your opponent's deck.
- Flavor:The most terrible of demons is loose! And VERY hungry.
Azari runs a Wild Demon Warlock deck that looks to delay you while he removes cards from your deck every turn!
- Hero Power: Magic Candle (3 Mana) - Find a Treasure!
- Flavor:Look out! He's loaded with loot from failed adventurers.
King Togwaggle is one of the final bosses you will face if you make it to the end of the Dungeon Run. He starts with 2-Mana so when it goes into his turn (giving him 3-mana) he will immediately be able to use his Hero Power. His Hero Power generates one of the active Treasure cards you get to choose from throughout your run. At some point during the start of one of his turns he will cast a card called Rakanishu (who is apparently the candle/flame on top of his head!). The card deals 4 damage to a random enemy.
King Togwaggle's deck seems to be mostly Rogue cards as well as a fair amount of Kobolds.
- Hero Power: Encroaching Darkness (0 Mana) - Summon a 5/5 Darkspawn.
- Flavor:There's a reason to always keep a light on down here.
The Darkness has a very powerful hero power that is going to add a 5/5 to the board every turn. However, you will start with three 0-Mana cost Luminous Candle spells that will destroy all Darkspawns. Obviously you are going to need to be pretty careful with how you use these. The Darkness' deck is mostly Priest cards, but there appears to also be some Rogue secrets as well.
Vustrasz the Ancient
- Hero Power: Vindictive Breath (0 Mana) - Deal 1 damage to all enemies for each missing Master Chest.
- Flavor:His vast treasure stores are for the taking if you dare!
Vustrasz is a Dragon, and we all know Dragon's love their treasure! He starts with five Master Chest on the board, you might recognize these from your good pal Marin the Fox. You are going to want to avoid killing these as much as possible, the problem is that Vustrasz is going to actively be trying to buff the chests to beat you up with. He runs stuff like Velen's Chosen and Cobalt Scalebane plus other Dragon and Priest cards.
Xol the Unscathed
- Hero Power: Beam Me Up (Passive) - At the end of your turn, add a Beam to your hand.
- Flavor:She's got her eye's on you. ALL of her eyes.
Xol has access to quite a few beams, she will emote when she users her hero power and draws a specific beam. Here's the list:
- "Flummox" -Beam of Confusion: Take control of a random enemy minion.
- "Fatality" - Beam of Death: Destroy all damaged enemy minions.
- "Fatigue" - Beam of Decay: Destroy 1 of your opponent's Mana Crystal.
- "Fear" - Beam of Fear: Shuffle a random enemy minion into your opponent's deck.
- "Flame" - Beam of Fire: Deal 2 damage to all enemy minions.
- "Frost" - Beam of Frost: Freeze a random enemy minion and the minions next to it.
Xol runs a Discard Warlock deck and with the help of the beams could be quite difficult to deal with if you are a more minion based deck. The Freeze/Spell Mage the player uses in the video looks to be one of the better decks to use against this final boss.